He Pounamu Te Reo Māori Feature Film Initiative is an annual fund for the production of narrative feature films in Te Reo Māori. This fund aims to increase the number of films produced in Te Reo Māori and create a culturally approriate production financing pathway for these films.
What we fund
$2.5 million has been allocated to the production financing of dramatic feature films in Te Reo Māori where a minimum of two out of three key creative roles are Māori.
The number of films supported through this initiative will depend on the range and quality of proposals received. Projects without a producer attached or that require further development may be considered for other NZFC development opportunities.
Who can apply
- The team must have Māori individuals in at least two out of three key creative roles of writer, director and producer. The content must be led by the Māori key creatives.
- The director must also be Māori and attached at the time of the application.
- The majority of your script must be in Te Reo Māori.
- The applicant must be the producer, who must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
How to apply
Please register your interest via email to the Te Rautaki Māori team for He Pounamu Te Reo Māori Feature Film Fund, email email@example.com or phone 0800 659 754.
Please read He Pounamu Te Reo Māori Feature Film Fund Guidelines and Terms of Trade before registering for an account to apply online. The person applying should be your lead producer.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
This fund is now closed to applications.
What you need:
- Tono Auaha / Creative material - including a script, logline and synopsis
- Mahere pūtea me Te here haumi / Finance plan and recoupment structure
- Mahere tūhono tangata / Audience Engagement Plan
- Tātai Pūtea me te maramataka / Budget and schedule
- Te Hunga mahi / Key personnel - bios of key people including key cast
- Ētahi atu kōkiri a Te Tumu Whakaata Taonga / Background - history of the project, and any other projects you have with the Film Commission
- Mahere Tiaki Tikanga / Māori Cultural Considerations and Care