The Documentary Development Fund supports documentary films that have the potential to become compelling cinematic releases.
What we fund
The development of feature-length cinematic documentaries suitable for a theatrical release.
- Grant of up to $40,000 per project in two stages
- Early stage - up to $20,000
- Advanced stage – up to $20,000
Who can apply
New Zealand producers of a documentary film with significant New Zealand content. The person named as the lead producer in your application cannot be the same person as the writer or director.
How to apply
Please read Documentary Development Financing Guidelines for Applicants before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/. The person applying should be your lead producer.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
What you need
- Vision – creative materials and statements from producer and director
- Audience engagement plan
- Background – history of the project, and other projects you have with the Film Commission
- Budget and timeline
- Key personnel – bios for key people
- Warranty of copyright, access, and clearances.