Your privacy is important to the New Zealand Film Commission ("NZ Film", "Us" or "We").
1. Your personal information
“Personal information” means information that is attributable to an individual person. You may be asked to provide your personal information any time you are in contact with:
- NZ Film; or
- any third party that NZ Film engages;
with regard to the operation of the NZ Film VOD Service.
2. Personal information collected
When you become a Member of the NZ Film VOD Service, and through your use of the NZ Film VOD Service, you will be required to provide a variety of information, including:
- your name;
- mailing address;
- phone number;
- email address;
- contact preferences;
- credit card information;
Records of communications between you and NZ Film or third party service providers relating to products and/or services provided by NZ Film to you will also be collected.
3. How we may use your personal information
NZ Film uses your personal information to facilitate the operation of the NZ Film VOD Service, including:
- to provide you with the products, services or information you have requested;
- to ensure you can log in to your Member Account and enable you to maintain it;
- to record your purchases and for billing purposes;
- for auditing purposes;
- to prevent fraud and run credit checks; and
- for administration and notification of any competitions or promotions.
We also use your personal information to facilitate the development, maintenance and marketing of the NZ Film VOD Service and assist NZ Film in performing its role as a national film agency, including:
- to help us constantly improve our service;
- to develop and improve the NZ Film Products, benefits and services we offer to our Members and prospective Members;
- to inform us about particular audience demand and viewing behaviours for NZ Film Products;
- to notify you about other or new NZ Film services, products or promotions from time to time;
- to provide Member service support;
- to distribute information about other services and other organisations' services to you;
- if you provide content (such as comments or reviews) to us, for publication on the NZ Film website (www.nzfilm.co.nz).
NZ Film may perform statistical analysis of user behaviour, and of characteristics and use of the NZ Film VOD Service, to assist with the above.
4. Non-personal information
NZ Film and its service providers engaged in providing the NZ Film VOD Service may also collect information that is not personal information (i.e. it is not attributable to you individually). The purpose of this is to ensure NZ Film can further develop existing services and investigate new services that enable NZ Film to better assist with development and marketing of NZ films in its capacity as a national film agency.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information.
5. Mailing lists
From time to time NZ Film seeks to obtain additional information from NZ Film fans and users of the NZ Film VOD Service to help improve the NZ Film VOD Service and assist NZ Film with other functions it performs as a national film agency.
By signing up as a Member of the NZ Film VOD Service you will be automatically added to our NZ Film VOD Service mailing list. You may also from time to time receive emails regarding NZ Film surveys and promotions.
If you don’t want to be on our NZ Film mailing list, you can request to unsubscribe any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may also email you from time to time regarding your Member Account information. These emails are critical to the effective operation of the NZ Film VOD Service and you may not unsubscribe unless you terminate your Membership.
6. Disclosure to third parties
NZ Film works with third parties to develop, maintain and operate the NZ Film VOD Service. NZ Film also uses third parties for the purpose of facilitating payment for use of NZ Film VOD Services and NZ Film Products.
Personal and non-personal information may also be passed to the licensors of NZ Film Products you purchase.
Third Party Service Providers
NZ Film shares personal information with companies who provide services such as:
- development, operation and maintenance of the NZ Film VOD application;
- secure payment processing;
- information processing;
- delivering NZ Film Products to you;
- managing and enhancing customer data;
- providing customer service;
- assessing your interest in our products and services and conducting customer research or satisfaction surveys.
We only provide your personal information to such third parties where:
- that organisation has agreed with us in writing to keep your personal information confidential; or
- these companies are otherwise obligated by law to protect your information.
Disclosure by Law
We may be required by law to disclose your personal information. We may also choose to disclose your private information if permitted to do so by law. We generally would only do so where we consider it is in the best interests of performing our role as a national film agency or of the operation of the NZ Film VOD Service.
7. Third-party sites and services
The NZ Film VOD Service may also contain links to third-party websites, products and services.
Information collected by such third parties, which may include such things as location data or contact details, is governed by their own privacy practices or policies and we accept no responsibility or liability for these practices or policies or your provision of personal information to them.
“Cookies” are a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in a user's web browser while the user is browsing that website. Every time the user loads the website, the browser sends the cookie back to the server to notify the website of the user's previous activity.
The NZ Film VOD Service uses “cookies” to make the service as easy for you to use as possible and helps us better understand user behaviour.
We treat information collected by cookies and other similar technologies as non-personal information unless:
- New Zealand law requires us to treat them as personal information; and
We use Google Analytics to help us to understand how you use our site and tools, which allows us to know how to improve NZ Film Products for your benefit. It follows your progress through the website, collecting anonymous data on where you have come from, which pages you visit, and how long you spend on the site. Google then stores this data in order to create reports. But don't worry; they do not store your personal data.
Google will track your IP address, and it may be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google may use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for us, and providing other services relating to website activity and Internet usage.
Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. When you become a Member of the NZ Film VOD Service, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
9. Securtiy of your personal information
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
NZ Film and our third party providers store personal information in a secure environment accessed only by authorised persons. We use generally accepted security standards to protect personal information collected from you from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Given the nature of the internet we cannot guarantee security of information transmitted through the internet. We will do our best to protect your personal data, however any transmission is at your own risk.
10. Access to your personal information
You can access some of your personal information that we collect through the NZ Film VOD Service by logging into your Member Account. We use this procedure to better safeguard your information.
We may also correct factual errors in your personally identifiable information if you send us an email request that shows the error(s) (email@example.com).
To protect your privacy and security, we may also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
For other personal information, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access so you can request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate or delete the data if NZ Film is not required to retain it by law or for legitimate business purposes.
We may refuse to correct your information where a request is frivolous, vexatious or trivial or for any other reason of refusal permitted by law.
11. Privacy questions
- MEMBER means a person that has completed the requisite information and accepted membership of the NZ FILM VOD SERVICE and MEMBERSHIP has a corresponding meaning.
- MEMBER ACCOUNT means an account held by a Member with NZ Film for the purposes of purchasing NZ Film Product through the NZ Film VOD Service
- NZ FILM means the New Zealand Film Commission, a New Zealand Crown Entity formed under the New Zealand Film Commission Act 1978
- NZ FILM PRODUCT means a film or any other product or content provided for purchase through the NZ Film VOD Service.
- NZ FILM VOD SERVICE means the video-on-demand service provided by NZ Film and/or by its third party service providers on behalf of NZ Film.