The New Zealand Film Commission (NZFC) is looking for an experienced Māori producer to collaborate with an Australian Indigenous Producer (appointed by Screen Australia) on Ngā Pouwhenua, a one-off joint indigenous initiative.
Two overarching producers, one New Zealander and one Australian, will be selected by the NZFC and Screen Australia to co-produce the film to the standard requirements and funding agreements of each agency.
Key Responsibilities for the Producer
- Manage and co-ordinate the four short film teams to develop the concepts, scripts, schedule, budget and production needs to shoot and deliver the short films
- Provide overall budget, compliance and production management, and sales /distribution for the anthology feature film in conjunction with the Australian Producer.
- Enter into a co-producer arrangement with the Australian producer to complete the anthology feature film.
- Liaise and report to the supporting agencies of NZFC and SA in relation to budget/ legal/ production requirements for the New Zealand short films and final feature film.
- Confirm distribution, E & O Insurance cover and collection agent for the anthology feature film to the standards and agreements with NZFC and Screen Australia respectively.
- To commit to a cohesiveness of vision and create the highest quality of production for the film
Applicants for the Producer of Ngā Pouwhenua must:
- be of Māori descent
- be a creative producer with a minimum of 2 short drama credits, 2 documentary one-off and/or dramatic feature film or series credits and 5 years minimum producing experience
- have an understanding of distribution and marketing a feature film, worldwide
- be available to travel to the development workshop likely to be held 13th – 19th May 2019, in Sydney Australia and work on the production of the film from May – December 2019
- be able to prove their ability to work collaboratively
- be able to prove their ability to deliver the film in November 2019
- be able to be point person throughout the release and exploitation of the feature film.
How to Apply
Expressions of interest must be submitted via the application portal by 9am Friday 29 March.
- Read the Expression of Interest: NZ Producer for Ngā Pouwhenua Joint Indigenous Initiative Guidelines.
- Read the Ngā Pouwhenua Joint Indigenous Initiative Guidelines.
- Submit a producer expression of interest in our online portal at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/.
If you are using the online application portal for the first time, be aware there can be up to a 24 hour wait while we approve your account. However, in most cases the wait will be much shorter than this.