The Early Development Fund supports the development of treatments or early drafts of scripts that have the potential to make great New Zealand feature films.
What we fund
The development of draft feature film scripts or treatments.
- Grant up to $25,000 per application
- Up to a total amount of $60,000 per project
- New Zealand-specific development costs.
Who can apply
New Zealand producers of a film with significant New Zealand content. The person named as the lead producer in your application cannot be the same person as the writer or director.
How to apply
Please read the Development Financing Guidelines for Applicants before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/. The person applying should be your lead producer.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
If you are using the online application portal for the first time, be aware there can be up to a 24 hour wait while we approve your account. However, in most cases the wait will be much shorter than this.
What you need
- Creative material - including a script or treatment
- Team vision – statements from the writer, director, and producer
- Background – history of the project, and any other projects you have with the Film Commission
- Budget and timeline
- Key personnel – bios of key people
- Rights – confirmation that you have the rights to develop the screenplay