International productions which qualify for the International Grant and offer significant economic benefits to New Zealand may occasionally be invited to apply for the 5% Uplift.
In addition to being invited to apply, to be eligible for the 5% Uplift applicants must:
- meet the QNZPE thresholds ($30 million QNZPE on the current production and $100 million QNZPE in the previous five years,);
- pass the Significant Economic Benefits Test; and
- provide value to New Zealand that meets or exceeds the size of the 5% Uplift applied for.
The Significant Economic Benefits Test is set out in Appendix 3 to the NZSPG Criteria for International Productions. The test considers:
- the amount of expenditure on current production
- New Zealand production activity
- use of New Zealand personnel
- wider economic benefits
A verification panel consisting of government representatives and individuals from the commercial sector and screen sector decides whether a production is eligible for the 5% Uplift.
Successful productions enter into a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the New Zealand Film Commission on behalf of the New Zealand Government.
Four productions to date have been approved in principle for the 5% Uplift: Power Rangers Dino Charge, Pete's Dragon, Ghost in the Shell and MEG.
If you wish to discuss whether your production may be invited to apply for the 5% Uplift, please contact the Head of Incentives in the first instance.