International productions which qualify for the International Grant and offer significant economic benefits to New Zealand may be invited to apply for the 5% Uplift.
In addition to being invited to apply, to be eligible for the 5% Uplift, applicants must:
- meet the QNZPE thresholds (NZ$30million QNZPE on the current production and NZ$100million QNZPE in the previous five years);
- pass the Significant Economic Benefits Test; and
- provide value to New Zealand that meets or exceeds the size of the 5% Uplift applied for.
The Significant Economic Benefits Test is set out in Appendix 3 of the NZSPG Criteria for International Productions. The test considers:
- the amount of expenditure on current production
- New Zealand production activity
- use of New Zealand personnel
- wider economic benefits
A verification panel consisting of government representatives and individuals from the commercial and screen sectors decides whether a production is eligible for the 5% Uplift.
Successful productions enter into a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the New Zealand Film Commission on behalf of the New Zealand Government.
PDV Productions are not eligible for the 5% Uplift.
If you wish to discuss whether your production could be invited to apply for the 5% Uplift, please contact the Head of Incentives in the first instance via email@example.com