The Distribution Fund helps distributors of NZFC-funded New Zealand films maximise the domestic theatrical audience.
What we fund
Financial assistance for domestic distributors of NZFC-funded New Zealand feature films to help maximise the New Zealand domestic theatrical audience. There are four grants available:
Publicity & Advertising Grant
Up to $50,000 to cover up to 25 percent of publicity and advertising spend for the domestic theatrical release of a New Zealand film.
The Audience+ Grant supports campaigns designed to target audiences who are not regular cinemagoers and/or those who are regular cinemagoers but not for New Zealand films. Up to NZ$15,000 is available to cover up to 50% of the total spend on promotions or advertising to reach these audiences.
The Regional Grant supports regional/country cinemas releasing NZFC funded films to embrace local marketing aspects of the main release campaign. Up to NZ$10,000 is available to cover up to 70% of the total spend on promotions or advertising in regional areas.
The Premiere Grant offers a flat NZ$5,000 toward the cost of an NZFC-funded film’s New Zealand premiere.
Who can apply
This fund is only open to applications from established distributors attached to films that have received NZFC Production Financing, Post-Production Funding or the Feature Film Finishing Grant.
How to apply
The NZFC's funding portal is not yet open to applications for this fund. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications need to be made at least six weeks before the film’s planned release date.
What you need
- Release plan - to be considered a theatrical release, your film needs to be booked into at least five cinemas across two major cities for a minimum of one session per day for seven consecutive days.
- Proposed budget - the attached template must be used
- Marketing or publicity strategy - this needs to outline how you propose engaging with your primary and secondary audiences
- Breakdown of any advertising spend
- List of cinemas in which the film will screen
- Box office expectations
- Comparative titles and their New Zealand box office figures.