We invest in helping exciting ideas to become great films.
We want to support the making of New Zealand feature films that are culturally significant, amazing, original and exciting. We’re looking for diversity – a range of budgets, genres and audience appeal.
Each year we invest about $12 million in feature film production. We invest in large and small projects; narrative and documentary. We have a targeted fund of $1 million available for the New Zealand side of official Chinese New Zealand co-productions.
If you have an exciting project with a strong script, talented people involved, and a plan to get it in front of audiences, then we’re interested in hearing from you. We have made available the below documents, Feature Film Production Financing Guidelines and Terms of Trade, to assist you with your application. Please get in touch well before making a formal application for financing, as we can offer helpful advice and guidance.
At a glance
What you need to know to apply for production financing:
- You must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
- Your film must have significant New Zealand content.
- You must have a production-ready script or documentary treatment and producers with a proven track record.
- You can apply for production financing for a co-production but you must have a New Zealand producer as well as one in the other country, or territory.
- The amount you apply for should be in proportion to the budget and anticipated market/audience for your film. You will have to have other sources of finance to sit alongside our investment.
- We provide production financing as equity investment, which means the NZFC will have a stake in the film.
- Our investment is discretionary – that is, the NZFC chooses where best to invest to ensure New Zealanders get to see great New Zealand films. Our decisions are final and not open to appeal.
- Our total production financing budget can be found in our Statement of Intent on the Publications link below. Recent funding decisions are reported in the NZFC newsletter.
Applications are considered at our Board meetings. Upcoming application deadlines are listed below.
Our team will keep you informed about the progress of your application. If your application is unsuccessful, we will give feedback and will not publicly disclose your application.
If you are successful, you will receive a conditional offer.
Please read the Feature Film Production Financing Guidelines and Terms of Trade and download the application form below.
Before applying, discuss your project with our production team.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 0800 659 754
Related Documents and forms
In this section
- Feature Films
- Business Development
- Travel Grants
- Key Dates
- Past Funding Decisions