The NZFC is inviting eligible New Zealand filmmakers to apply for two one-off masterclasses, based around the Netflix Original film, The Power of the Dog, and presented by See-Saw executives and Jane Campion, respectively.
Each masterclass will be approximately 6 hours long and will both be held in Auckland on 20 August 2021.
Filmmakers may apply for both Masterclasses providing they meet the criteria but may attend only one.
Jane Campion Masterclass
Using The Power of the Dog as a case study, Campion will work with up to 12 writers and/or directors to share her journey as lead creative and New Zealand producer through all stages of the film’s development and production, including the challenges of the global pandemic.
Using The Power of the Dog (on which See-Saw were the Australian co-producer) alongside other feature films and drama series as case studies, See-Saw Films’ executives will work with up to 20 producers, focusing on the process undertaken to finance and package large budget production and the impacts of shifting trends in content consumption on financing and production.
Who can apply
In order to be eligible for the Jane Campion & See-Saw Films masterclasses you must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
Jane Campion Masterclass Criteria
This masterclass is for writers and/or directors looking to further their understanding of directing, writing and creative producing in the international market. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A writer, director or key HOD credit on a significant feature or short film and/or series production that has screened theatrically, on a digital platform or via a broadcast/cable network within the last 5 years.
- Be attached as a writer or director to a film or series project in development. This could be with New Zealand government support (NZFC, NZOA, Te Māngai Pāho or otherwise), or privately financed.
See-Saw Masterclass Criteria
This masterclass is for producers looking to further their knowledge of the current market, audience behaviours around consumption of content, international co-productions, multi-party financing involving international finance and large-scale production challenges in the COVID environment. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A ‘produced by’ credit on a significant feature film and/or series production that has screened theatrically, on a digital platform or via a broadcast/cable network within the last 5 years.
- Be attached as a producer to a film or series project in development. This could be with New Zealand government support (NZFC, NZOA, Te Māngai Pāho or otherwise), or privately financed.
How to apply
Please read the Jane Campion & See-Saw Films Masterclasses – Guidelines for Applicants before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/.
This fund is no longer open to applications.
What you need
- Brief biography of career highlights, recent professional development opportunities undertaken, and key credits that evidence you meet the criteria
- What projects you currently have in development/on your slate.
- A personal statement outlining how the masterclass aligns with your skill level and career strategy.
- How you, your projects, and the communities you represent would benefit from your participation in the masterclass