This unique investment initiative has been created to attract and encourage new and emerging Māori voices, as well as promote authentic representation of Māori characters, stories, places, history and culture and support high quality films led by Māori creatives.
What we fund
$2 million is available to put towards the production financing of dramatic feature films where a minimum of two out of three key creative roles are Māori.
Who can apply
To be eligible for the Te Rautaki Māori Feature Film Initiative, the team must have Māori individuals in at least two out of three key creative roles of writer, director and producer. The content must be led by the Māori key creatives.
The director must also be Māori and attached at the time of the application.
The applicant must be the producer, who must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
How to apply
Please read Te Rautaki Māori Feature Film Initiative Guidelines and Terms of Trade before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/. The person applying should be your lead producer.
Before you send us your application, discuss your project with the coordinator for Te Rautaki Māori Feature Film Initiative; Mechele Harron at email@example.com
Applications are considered at Board meetings, which are held five times a year.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
What you need:
- Tono Auaha / Creative material - including a script, logline and synopsis
- Ētahi atu kōkiri a Te Tumu Whakaata Taonga / Background - history of the project, and any other projects you have with the Film Commission
- Mahere Tiaki Tikanga / Māori Cultural Considerations and Care
- Mahere pūtea me Te here haumi / Finance plan and recoupment structure
- Tātai Pūtea me te maramataka / Budget and schedule
- Mahere tūhono tangata / Audience Engagement Plan
- Te Hunga mahi / Key personnel - bios of key people including key cast