The Short Film Fund (Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts) identifies and nurtures the next generation of New Zealand filmmakers.
In 2020 the application process for Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts has been changed, making it simpler for teams to apply. Fresh Shorts is now a two-stage application process.
At Whiringa Tuatahi - Stage One you will need a writer, director and producer, and a written script is still required.
The rest of the application consists of:
- a team video;
- a five image PDF; and
- some short summaries.
Criteria and requirements for assessing both Whiringa Tuatahi- Stage One and Whiringa Tuarua - Stage Two are laid out in the guidelines.
A shortlist of 18 teams will be invited to submit a Stage Two application.
The shortlist will be anounced in the week starting 16 November 2020 with applications opening for Whiringa Tuarua - Stage Two on Monday 23 November 2020.
This detailed application is to ensure all bases are covered, from pre-production to delivery, that health and safety is addressed and the team have all the support they require to make the film.
From the shortlist six projects will receive $15,000 grants. The teams behind each of these projects will be matched with an experienced industry practitioner and receive six weeks’ mentoring to get their project ‘shoot ready’. It has been our experience over several years that projects have greatly benefited from support to further develop the work before moving toward production.
What is Kōpere Hou -Fresh Shorts?
- Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts offers grants of $15,000 to new or emerging filmmakers to make a short film
- Filmmakers may have some experience, or they may be new to the screen industry
- More experienced filmmakers should apply for Catalyst He Kauahi funding
What we fund
The development and production of short films made by up-and-coming filmmakers.
- $90,000 of grants are available for the production of up to six short films.
Who can apply
New Zealand filmmakers of short film projects with:
- A director attached
- Applicants need a producer who is separate to the director
- First-time directors can apply for Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts
- Availability to attend the Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts Development Labs (writers, producers, and directors).
How to apply
Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts will re-open for applications in 2021.
To stay informed when the next round opens, please subscribe to the Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts updates mailing list.
What you need for Whiringa Tuatahi- Stage One
- Team Video Vimeo Link (4 minutes max duration). Covering: What is the heart of your story and why you want to make this film and an introduction to your team.
- Logline (35 words max)
- Tangata Whenua, diversity, representation, and consultation summary
- Director’s summary
- Director's visual inspiration images - 5 images in a single PDF
- Producer's summary
- Short Bio each team member and filmography list if applicable