The Short Film Fund (Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts) identifies and nurtures the next generation of New Zealand filmmakers.
In 2020 the application process for Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts has been changed, making it simpler for teams to apply. Fresh Shorts is now a two-stage application process.
Criteria and requirements for assessing both Whiringa Tuatahi- Stage One and Whiringa Tuarua - Stage Two are laid out in the guidelines.
Whiringa Tuatahi- Stage One is now closed.
Eighteen teams who submitted applications for Whiringa Tuatahi-Stage One have been shortlisted and invited to apply for Whiringa Tuarua - Stage Two. Those selected will have until 11 January 2021 to deliver the next application.
Further information about the 2020 shortlisted teams and projects here.
From the shortlist six projects will receive $15,000 grants. The teams behind each of these projects will be matched with an experienced industry practitioner and receive six weeks’ mentoring to get their project ‘shoot ready’. It has been our experience over several years that projects have greatly benefited from support to further develop the work before moving toward production.
What is Kōpere Hou -Fresh Shorts?
- Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts offers grants of $15,000 to new or emerging filmmakers to make a short film
- Filmmakers may have some experience, or they may be new to the screen industry
- More experienced filmmakers should apply for Catalyst He Kauahi funding
What we fund
The development and production of short films made by up-and-coming filmmakers.
- $90,000 of grants are available for the production of up to six short films.
Who can apply
New Zealand filmmakers of short film projects with:
- A director attached
- Applicants need a producer who is separate to the director
- First-time directors can apply for Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts
- Availability to attend the Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts Development Labs (writers, producers, and directors).
How to apply
To stay informed when the next round opens, please subscribe to the Kōpere Hou - Fresh Shorts updates mailing list.
What you need for Whiringa Tuatahi- Stage Two
- Logline (35 words max)
- Writer's notes
- Tangata Whenua, diversity, representation, and consultation summary
- Director’s vision
- Director's treatment
- Director's best work
- Locations (optional)
- Visual reference
- Producer's statement
- Stunts/VFX/SFX (optional)
- Health and safety plan (inclufing COVID-19 planning)
- Marketing plan
- Festival strategy
- Schedule overview
- Budget notes
- Financial plan
- Key peoples' bios
- Mentors and support