The Premium Productions for International Audiences Fund (Te Puna Kairangi Premium Fund) supports the Aotearoa New Zealand production sector recovery from COVID-19 by supporting high-quality productions that tell New Zealand stories for global audiences.
Te Tumu Whakaata Taonga New Zealand Film Commission (NZFC), Irirangi Te Motu New Zealand On Air (NZ On Air) and Te Māngai Pāho (TMP) have worked closely on the design of the Premium Fund and will continue to work together throughout the implementation stages.
He aha te kaupapa pūtea - What we fund
Feature films including but not limited to drama, documentary, children’s and animation being no less than 80 minutes (exclusive of credits), commonly screened as the main attraction in commercial cinemas and recorded, subtitled or dubbed in one of New Zealand’s three official languages – English, Māori and/or English, and/or New Zealand Sign Language.
A single episode programme (including a telefeature or feature length content that is not primarily intended for exhibition to the public in cinemas) of at least 80 minutes (exclusive of credits) in length, including but not limited to drama, documentary, children’s and animation.
A series or season of a series including but not limited to drama, documentary, children’s and animation being a programme with a common theme or themes consisting of at least two episodes that are intended for release together in national and international markets.
Ngā Whāinga Matua - The Key Objectives are:
- Boost economic growth, through the attraction of international investment in New Zealand’s screen sector and give opportunities to New Zealand creators and IP owners to be competitive in the global market.
- Increase employment, through providing jobs to New Zealanders in the screen sector.
- Create cultural benefit, through providing the resources to tell New Zealand screen stories at a scale not previously possible and supporting Māori cultural aspirations.
- Respond to COVID-19, by distributing money quickly in the wake of the lockdown period to support the screen sector.
- Develop the skills and capability of the New Zealand screen sector by increasing international connections and driving long-term growth in the sector.
Ko wai ka āhei ki te tono - Who can apply
New Zealand producers with a project of significant New Zealand content who:
- Are New Zealand citizens or permanent residents; and
- Are the New Zealand producer for the project; and either
- Apply through a New Zealand company that is an established New Zealand screen business; or
- Apply through, and be a director and majority shareholder of, a New Zealand company (that is a New Zealand screen business) and demonstrate an appropriate level of credited producer experience;
- Have multiparty financing experience with at least one ‘Produced by’ credit in the format you are applying under that has been theatrically released or commercially broadcast or streamed in New Zealand; and
- Be able to demonstrate through the application that the project is ready for production; and
- Have (or share, if a co-production or partnership) all, or the ability to obtain all, necessary rights/copyright/intellectual property to develop, produce and distribute the film project;
- Have a viable COVID-19 risk mitigation strategy; and
- Provide all necessary required documentation requested as outlined in the Guidelines, the Submission Checklist and the Premium Productions Terms of Trade.
Me pēhea te tono - How to apply
There have been two rounds of production funding to date aimed at mitigating the impacts of COVID-19 for New Zealand production companies in the short term. This final round is for projects which support the aspirational nature of the Fund to create a step change and ‘halo effect’ for our Screen Sector within the international screen industry. We will be looking to create a balanced slate that serves the five key objectives of the Premium Fund. There is approximately $20 million of funding available for this round.
Please read the Premium Fund Guidelines and supporting documents before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
He aha ngā mea hei whakauru atu ki te tono - What you need
Please refer to the Premium Fund Submission Checklist for detail:
- General Eligibility
- Creative Material
- Track Record and Experience for Key Personnel
- Finance and Recoupment
- Market Partners and Pathway to Audience