On-the-Job Development includes internships, attachments and mentorships on productions for writers, directors and producers, and professional placements with companies for emerging and mid-career filmmakers to gain on-the-job experience that will help progress their careers.
What we fund
There are four options:
- Grant of up to $10,000 to cover the cost of assigning an intern or attachment to a film
- Grant of up to $10,000 to cover the cost of assigning a mentor to a producer or director working on an NZFC-funded feature film
- Grant of up to $12,000 to cover a professional placement with a New Zealand company
- Grant of up to $30,000 to cover a professional placement with an international production company
Who can apply
Individual filmmakers can register their interest to be eligible for On-the-Job Development on the NZFC's Talent Register.
Producers or production companies wishing to offer on-the-job development opportunities should contact the Talent Pathways Manager at email@example.com
- Internships are open to emerging talent
- Attachments are open to mid-career talent
- Mentorships are open to mid-career talent
- Professional placements with New Zealand companies are open to emerging and mid-career talent
- Professional placements with international companies are open to mid-career and established talent
If you are unsure of your eligibilty, please refer to the Talent Eligibility Criteria.
Producers who wish to attach a trainee writer, director or producer to their project for at least 10 weeks should contact Talent Development to discuss potential candidates from the Talent Register.
The project should be a feature film that:
- Is funded by the NZFC
- Is nearing production
- Has a budget of more than $500,000
How to apply
New Zealand filmmakers wishing to be considered for internships, attachments, mentorships or professional placements should register their interest on the Talent Register, part of the online application portal. Once registered, you can update your information at any time.
Producers from New Zealand or international companies interested in supporting filmmakers with placements should contact our Talent Pathways Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0800 659 754.
What you need
Filmmaker applications will need to demonstrate the following:
- What area(s) of filmmaking are you interested in?
- What would you like to get out of any opportunity?
- What skills and/or experience do you want to develop?
- Why should you be considered for an opportunity?
- How will this opportunity help you in your career progression?
To register, you will need to provide information to verify your career position as new, emerging, mid-career, established or international profile. This eligibility criteria has been developed to clarify eligibility for all NZFC talent development support.