Talent Development funding supports the development of sustainable and successful career pathways. Mentorship is one of the most effective means to support filmmakers to progress their careers.
The Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship Programme 2021 is focused on learning, project and career development for writers, and narrative designers who are at mid-career stage.
Overview of the Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship Programme 2021 for Screen Storytellers
The Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship Programme is for up to ten mid-career mentees with a long-form project to be developed. The NZFC will undertake a bespoke matching process to connect the mentees with high calibre established mentors in their chosen field. The programme includes:
- A grant of $3000 per mentee
- Payment for the mentor’s time
- Ten one hour, one-on-one sessions with established filmmaker mentors in the same role
- Support from a mentor to progress the mentee’s development goal of a long-form project across ten weeks
Considerations that will be taken into account:
- Where possible, the NZFC will aim to award 50% of the total funding available to individuals who identify as women
- Applicants are encouraged to consider ethnicity and gender diversity and reflect the society of Aotearoa New Zealand in their submitted projects
Who can apply
Emerging and mid-career storytellers (as indicated by the Talent Development Eligibility Criteria Guidelines) including writers, writer/directors (writing as primary focus), writer/producers (writing as primary focus), documentary makers and narrative designers may apply.
Applicants must provide their CV and evidence of them having been credited as a writer or narrative designer.
Applicants must have a feature film or long-form content project they are currently developing. Long-form projects can include feature film, online series, television series (drama, documentary or animation), interactive project or game, and projects do not need to be in development with the NZFC or at advanced development stage.
Applicants must be either a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
How to apply
Your application must be completed online through the NZFC’s application portal. All applications must be submitted by 1pm on Monday 31 May 2021. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please read Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship 2021 for Screen Storytellers – Guidelines for Applicants before you apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/.
This fund is not currently open to applications.
What you need to provide in your application
- A brief proposal - showing how you believe the mentorship will progress your career development pathway and how you will approach the mentorship
- Key credit and writing-focused CV
- Project development plan- summary details for the proposed project including creative content, indication of your plans to progress your project through the mentorship, and proposed creative collaborators
- Project logline and synopsis
- Visual support for your project (if available) and/or link to previous work
- Development goal – details of your project progression goal which isto be completed across the ten sessions
- Information about any other projects which have received funding from, or you have in development with, the NZFC.
Applications will be assessed against the criteria by a panel of NZFC Talent Development staff. The panel will make a shortlist recommendation to each mentor.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by the Talent Pathways Manager by email if shortlisted. Shortlisting will not be published. The mentor will make a recommendation of the mentee for the Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship 2021 and the final decision will be made by the Head of Talent Development and the Chief Executive of the NZFC.
Announcements will be made week of 5 July 2021.
If you have any questions, please e-mail the Talent Pathways Manager as far in advance of the application deadline as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko -Online Mentorship 2021 application.