Talent Development funding supports the development of sustainable and successful career pathways. Mentorship is one of the most effective means to support filmmakers to progress their careers.
The Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship Programme is focused on learning, project and career development for writers, directors, cinematographers and production designers who are at mid-career stage.
Overview of the Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship Programme
The Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship Programme is for up to fourteen mid-career mentees with a long-form project to be developed. The NZFC will undertake a bespoke matching process to connect the mentees with high calibre established mentors in their chosen fields including directors Christine Jeffs, Dame Gaylene Preston and Alison Maclean; writer Nick Ward; documentary filmmakers Miriam Smith and Chris Pryor; and many more to be announced. The programme includes:
- A grant of $2000 per mentee
- Payment for the mentor’s time
- Eight one hour, one on one sessions with established filmmaker mentors in the same role
- Support from a mentor to progress the mentee’s development goal of a long-form project across eight weeks
Considerations that will be taken into account:
- Where possible, the NZFC will aim to award 50% of the total funding available to individuals who identify as female
- Applicants are encouraged to consider ethnicity and gender diversity and reflect the society of Aotearoa New Zealand in their submitted projects
Who can apply
Mid-career filmmakers (as indicated by the Talent Development Eligibility Criteria Guidelines) who have previously worked in one of the following roles may apply:
- Production Designer
Applicants must provide their CV and evidence of them having been credited in the role selected.
Applicants must have at least one project they are currently developing. For writers and directors, this project must be a feature film or other long-form project. Long-form projects can include web or TV series, interactive projects and do not need to be in development with the NZFC or at an advanced stage of development. Cinematographers and production designers may have a short or long-form project they are currently developing.
Applicants must be either a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
How to apply
Your application must be completed online through the NZFC’s application portal. Applications open on Monday 4 May 2020 and all applications must be submitted by 1pm on Monday 8 June 2020. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please read Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship – Guidelines for Applicants before you apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/.
What you need to provide in your application
- A brief proposal - showing how you believe the mentorship will progress your career development pathway and how you will approach the mentorship
- Key credit and CV in the role you are applying for mentorship in
- Project development plan- summary details for the proposed project including creative content, indication of your plans to progress your project through the mentorship, and proposed creative collaborators
- Project logline and synopsis
- Visual support for your project (if available) and/or link to previous work
- Development goal – details of your project progression goal which isto be completed across the eight sessions
- Information about any other projects which have received funding from, or you have in development with, the NZFC.
Applications will be assessed against the criteria by a panel of NZFC Talent Development staff. The panel will make a shortlist recommendation to each mentor.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by the Talent Pathways Manager by email to arrange an interview to further discuss their submission with the potential mentor via video conferencing or phone. The mentor will make a recommendation of the mentee for the Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko - Online Mentorship and the final decision will be made by the Head of Talent Development and the Chief Executive of the NZFC.
Announcements will be made week of 29 June
If you have any questions, please e-mail the Talent Pathways Manager as far in advance of the application deadline as possible at email@example.com with the subject line: Hunga Taunaki ā Rorohiko -Online Mentorship application.