The NZFC has partnered with the Black List to introduce the Black List New Zealand Project (BLNZP). This is a one-off fund, designed to foster the creative relationship between writers and producers, and stimulate international opportunities for New Zealand feature films.
What we fund
- Assessment of your feature film script by the Black List’s assessors;
- Attendance at a virtual Workshop and Mentorship series designed and hosted by the Black List; and
- NZFC Development Financing of up to NZ$25,000.
All submitted projects will receive two written assessments from the Black List.
The BLNZP has two stages.
- Assessment - the Black List will assess each submitted script against the assessment criteria in the guidelines. A shortlist of 20 projects will then be assessed by the BLNZP Panel with six projects selected to move to the next stage.
- Workshop and Mentorship Series - the Black List will host the filmmakers from each of the six selected projects for a virtual workshop and mentorship series over the course of a month.
Who can apply
BLNZP will accept applications from writer/producer teams or individual writers.
To be eligible for the BLNZP you must be over 18 years of age, a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and your film must have significant New Zealand content. See the New Zealand Content information sheet for more detail.
How to apply
Please read the Black List New Zealand Project Guidelines for Applicants before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/.
This fund is now closed to applications.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
What you need
- Creative material - logline, short synopsis and draft script
- Project background - Short project history including IP rights and previous funding including any previous funding from the New Zealand Film Commission
- Key personnel - Bios of key people involved with the project
- Development timeline (optional) - proposed timeline including start and finish dates for the development work you are seeking support for
- Development budget (optional) - actual and reasonable development costs of your project