The annual Gender Scholarship award is a way of recognising and celebrating women in the filmmaking community who have displayed a high level of achievement and is aimed at supporting their career progression.
Since 2015, the NZFC has awarded an annual scholarship to a female filmmaker in areas of the industry where female participation has historically been low. Past scholarships have been awarded to female cinematographers, directors and wahine Māori directors.
The 2019 award celebrates Pacific Island women screenwriters.
The award will offer a scholarship or scholarships up to the value of $50,000. Applications for this award are by nomination. Anyone can submit a nomination, however, nominees must be women of Pacific Island heritage and actively participating in the film industry in New Zealand or overseas. The person making the nomination needs to be able to provide a biography and description of what they believe makes the filmmaker successful and why they should receive the scholarship.
- Nominees to have screen industry experience of at least 3 years, (film, TV or web series)
- The nominated applicant must have at least one project short or long form screen content they are developing with the aim of applying for New Zealand funding
- Filmmakers are permitted to self-nominate
- The award is for Pacific Island women screenwriters, they may be solely screen writers, or writer/directors, or writer/producers
- Nominees must be New Zealand citizens or residents
Applicants must supply the following:
- What makes the nominee a top applicant to receive the Gender Scholarship?
- What has the nominee achieved so far in her career?
- How might the nominee utilise the award to progress her career?
- What is the work the nominee is developing with the intention to seek funding? Or what is the work that has already received development funding?
- Any other comments or supporting material /documentation/ articles/ links etc
- A sample of the nominee's writing (short film script, treatment or section of a feature film script)
The selection panel will consist of Pacific Island filmmakers and NZFC representatives. The panel will meet in late June and make recommendations on the award recipients, with the final decision to be made by the NZFC CEO.
The award recipients will be notified by 30 June and the scholarships will be announced in early July 2019.
Nominations open on Friday 24 May
Nominations close at 5pm Friday 21 June
You will need to create an account in our online application portal to make your nomination. You need only fill in the minimum required fields to register. Once registered, make your nomination.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues.