This grant is part of the New Zealand Screen Production Grant.
This grant aims to foster capacity and new business development for large budget PDV Production in New Zealand.
We administer the NZSPG and Post, Digital and Visual Effects (PDV) Grant scheme on behalf of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
If you have any questions about specific projects or the previous scheme please contact [email protected] or call the Incentives Executive on +64 4 382 7680.
Eligible productions can access a cash grant equivalent to 20% of Qualifying New Zealand Production Expenditure (QNZPE) up to QNZPE of $25 million, and 18% of QNZPE for QNZPE above $25 million.
PDV Productions are not eligible for the 5% Uplift.
- Expenditure threshold – Productions must have incurred NZ$500,000 or more on QNZPE
- Format – The production must be a feature film, television programme or series or other non-feature film format
- Special Purpose Vehicle – The applicant must be a special purpose vehicle unless it falls within one of the exceptions
- Residency Status – The applicant must be a New Zealand resident company or partnership, or a foreign corporation with a fixed establishment in New Zealand for tax purposes
- Responsible Entity – The applicant must be the entity responsible for the PDV Activity on the production in New Zealand
- Other Grants and New Zealand Incentives – A production cannot receive a PDV Grant and any other grant or New Zealand government film finance or tax incentives.
QNZPE is generally production expenditure spent by the applicant on:
- Services provided in New Zealand
- Goods purchased, hired or leased in New Zealand, provided they are sourced from within New Zealand
- Goods sourced from overseas, provided those goods are not otherwise available in New Zealand, are located in New Zealand during the making of the production and are purchased, hired or leased from a New Zealand Resident who typically supplies that type of good.
QNZPE for PDV Productions is QNZPE that is spent directly on or is necessarily related to PDV Activity in New Zealand. See clause 10.2 of the criteria for more detail.
PDV Activity means the activities listed in Appendix 2 of the criteria.
For planning purposes, all applicants must either register with the NZFC prior to the start of principal photography or apply for a provisional certificate. The registration form will be available for download soon.
If an applicant chooses not to register, they must apply for a provisional certificate before the start of production. A provisional certificate is not a guarantee that the production will receive final certification but it does indicate whether the production meets the relevant specific eligibility criteria or general eligibility criteria.
The provisional application process usually takes a minimum of eight weeks. A provisional certificate will lapse after six months unless the production goes into principal photography within that time frame.
Applications for the grant can be made once all QNZPE on the production is paid or each time the QNZPE reaches NZ$50 million or more (this is an interim application).
Applications must be made within six months from completion of the production.
Applications must include an independent auditor’s report from one of the following approved auditors:
- Ernst & Young
- Grant Thornton
If you wish to use a different auditor, please email [email protected] for approval. All applications should be made on the NZSPG application form for International Productions.
We will send a copy of each application to the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) for verification against the applicant’s tax records and to an independent consultant for assessment.
Once we have received reports from the IRD and the independent consultant, we will submit applications to the NZSPG Panel for approval.
The application process usually takes three months and payment usually takes 10 business days from the date of approval.
Please see the Promotional Materials Schedule document at the bottom of the page regarding materials that must be provided by grant applicants when submitting a final application.
Please refer to the NZSPG Criteria for International Productions for detailed information about the PDV Grant.
Application forms for those applying under the 1 July 2017 criteria will be available soon. For queries, please email [email protected].
Related Documents and forms