Our highest level of short film funding targeted at launching New Zealand talent on the international stage.
Each year we support established short form filmmakers to produce top level creative work that will enable them to attract international industry attention. Funding is available for up to six Premiere Shorts annually.
Premiere Shorts selections are administered by industry based Executive Producer groups (EPs) selected by our Board.
At a glance
- Who can apply: Applications are generally made by teams (producer, director and writer) but the EPs have the discretion to consider projects that are still looking for producers or directors.
- How to apply: Applicants apply directly to the EP teams. Each team has its own focus and approach to short filmmaking. Applications can be made to all three teams, but we recommend you read each groups application criteria to ensure you qualify.
- Application dates: Applications are annual and open mid-year.
- Level of funding: Up to six films can be funded annually at a budget level of up to $90,000.
Those who wish to apply must fit the following criteria:
- All short films funded by us must contain significant New Zealand content and the filmmakers must be New Zealand citizens or have permanent residency.
- Have a proven filmmaking track record, or have achieved at a high level in an allied field.
- Investment preference will be given to directors and teams who already have a feature film script in development (whether privately or with the us) and can discuss their career aspirations and intentions in practical terms.
- Premiere Shorts applications will demonstrate why they are suited for this level of funding rather than the lower budget Fresh Shorts initiative.
- Directors who have received production or post production financing for a low-budget film (narrative or documentary) are eligible to apply to the Premiere Shorts scheme on the basis that the short will enable them to deliver a film to the festival/marketplace that is significantly different from previous work (e.g. higher production values, drama rather than documentary etc.).
- Directors may only be funded through Premiere Shorts twice.
Applications are assessed by the EPs, teams are contacted and a shortlist is announced. The shortlisted team’s then work with the EPs on additional development to strengthen the film and develop a working relationship between EPs and themselves. The EPs will discuss their preferred projects with the Short Film Manager and make a final decision on which projects will receive funding.
Key dates: 2013
- Applications Open: Thursday 1 August
- Applications Close: Monday 7 October
- Shortlist Announced: December
Please refer to the Executive Producer page on our website for application criteria and process.
If you have any queries about Premiere Shorts funding, please email email@example.com.