Fresh Shorts aims to identify the next generation of New Zealand feature filmmakers by nurturing and inspiring up-and-coming talent.
We are considering changes to Fresh Shorts for 2014, which would involve keeping the existing $10,000 and $30,000 funding structures,while adding additional contestable funding for early stage feature film project development. This new structure would be called “Fresh Shorts Plus”. In line with a consultancy paper provided to industry on 7 March 2014, we are seeking feedback on Fresh Shorts Plus and would like to receive feedback by 5pm, Friday 28 March 2014. More information is available here.”
Fresh Shorts is a competitive low budget short film funding scheme for new directorial voices. In 2013 we received 235 submissions, shortlisted 43 projects and funded 16 short films.
Fresh Shorts - at a glance
- Who can apply: Fresh Shorts is open to applications for short narrative films, which may be live action, animation or documentary.
- Level of funding: We fund up to eight short films at $10,000 per film and up to eight short films at $30,000 per film.
- Application deadline: 27 June 2014.
All applications must have a director attached to the project to gain funding. Projects applying for Fresh 30 must have a producer who is separate from the director. Writers, producers and directors must be New Zealand citizens or residents.
- Applications open: May 12 2014
- Applications close: June 27 2014
- Funding decisions announced: TBA
- Funded films to be delivered: TBA
Submissions are assessed by external industry readers, as well as the New Zealand Film Commission, to create a shortlist of projects that fit the criteria and best reflect the intentions of the scheme.
The shortlist is assessed by a panel made up of three external industry members and two NZFC staff members. Over a two day meeting, up to 16 final films are selected for funding.
Film proposals will be assessed on the following:
- Filmmaking talent involved
- The idea and strength of the project
- Director’s voice
- Quality of the script
- Point of difference
- Ability to deliver the project
Please see the How To Apply page for detailed criteria and FAQ's.
If you have any queries about Fresh Shorts funding, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.