Fresh Shorts aims to identify the next generation of New Zealand feature filmmakers by nurturing and inspiring up-and-coming talent.
Fresh Shorts (Fresh 10 and Fresh 30)
This structure will remain as is for the coming financial year (June 2014 – July 2015) with further consultation on the Plus component to occur in June 2014. The Fresh Shorts 2014 application round is open between 12 May 2014 and 27 June 2014. Click here for an application form.
Fresh Shorts is a competitive low budget short film funding scheme for new directorial voices. In 2013 we received 235 submissions, shortlisted 43 projects and funded 16 short films.
Fresh Shorts - at a glance
- Who can apply: Fresh Shorts is open to applications for short narrative films, which may be live action, animation or documentary.
- Level of funding: We fund up to eight short films at $10,000 per film and up to eight short films at $30,000 per film.
- Application deadline: 27 June 2014.
All applications must have a director attached to the project to gain funding. Projects applying for Fresh 30 must have a producer who is separate from the director. Writers, producers and directors must be New Zealand citizens or residents.
- Applications open: May 12 2014
- Applications close: June 27 2014
- Funding decisions announced: Friday 26 September 2014
- Funded films to be delivered: October 2015
Submissions are assessed by external industry readers, as well as the New Zealand Film Commission, to create a shortlist of projects that fit the criteria and best reflect the intentions of the scheme.
The shortlist is assessed by a panel made up of three external industry members and two NZFC staff members. Over a two day meeting, up to 16 final films are selected for funding.
Film proposals will be assessed on the following:
- Filmmaking talent involved
- The idea and strength of the project
- Director’s voice
- Quality of the script
- Point of difference
- Ability to deliver the project
If you have any queries about Fresh Shorts funding, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.