We assist producers to travel to key international markets where they can advance the packaging and financing of their film projects.
At a glance
- Who can apply: Producers with either a completed film premiering in the marketplace, or with at least one dramatic or documentary feature film project in an advanced stage of development. You must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
- Level of funding: Up to NZ$5000 per grant, with a higher cap of up to NZ$7500 per grant for travel to the Cannes Film Festival and up to NZ$6500 per grant for the Toronto International Film Festival.
- Type of funding: Grant.
- Application deadline: Applications can be submitted at any time.
You’ll need clear objectives for your travel, a sound plan and a quality project, or preferably a slate of projects, to pitch. The NZFC defines a slate as a minimum of three feature films projects. Your application should include:
- why you want to attend the market or undertake marketing travel and clear objectives for what will be achieved and how you will measure the success of the trip;
- a thorough plan for the trip including details of the projects that will be pitched, how you'll approach your contacts and what meetings will be held at the event and en route; and
- a total budget for the trip, including the requested NZFC grant.
Successful applicants will usually have a slate of projects with at least one that will be significantly advanced towards production by attendance at the market.
Applications for assistance will be assessed by the NZFC CEO and staff. Our assessment will include the results from any previous travel assistance you’ve had.
If your application is successful you will have to sign a letter of agreement setting out the rationale and agreed objectives for the trip.
Travel assistance will be paid in advance of the proposed trip. It will need to be repaid in full if the trip is cancelled. Producers must liaise with us if their travel plans change after receiving travel assistance.
You will have to report back to us on what you have done with the money and your letter of agreement will include a report-back date. You may be considered ineligible for funding if you have outstanding reports or deliverables relating to other NZFC funding, or are in breach of any contract with NZFC.
Our investment is discretionary and our decisions are final. The criteria we apply may change from time to time but our decisions will be consistent with the NZFC Act 1978.
Please fill out the application form below and send it with your supporting material to [email protected].
For more information contact our International Relations Team by email [email protected] or phone 0800 659 754.
Related Documents and forms