New Zealand short films are frequently recognised and celebrated at festivals both here and overseas. As well as supporting achievement, travel to festivals provides valuable career development opportunities.
Filmmakers gain exposure to international films, build international peer groups, form connections with industry members and companies, and provide an understanding of film financing in other countries. Attendance may also allow the pitching of a current or future project. Travel assistance is linked to defined goals for each filmmaker and festival attendance must provide tangible development opportunities.
At a glance:
- Who can apply: We will consider requests for Short Filmmaker Professional Development Travel Contribution from directors and producers when a short film has been invited to a significant international film festival.
- Level of funding: Funding is available for economy airfares (cheapest available), accommodation for five nights (up to NZD150/night) and taxi transfers only. If accommodation is paid for by the festival we will not cover this cost.
- Type of funding: Grant.
- Application deadlines: Applications may be submitted at any time.
- Details of the festival the film has been selected for, the section (competitive or not) it will screen in, and the professional development opportunities the festival offers (e.g. workshops, seminars etc.);
- A plan for the trip or for “working” the festival, including information about self-promotion, film promotion and other projects which may be pitched, and details of planned contacts and how the applicant plans to best reach those;
- A plan for any meetings to be held during travel to and from the market;
- Budget outlining expected costs;
- Proposed outcomes from financial assistance.
- Applicants must be NZ citizens or have permanent residency and preferably based in New Zealand.
In the cases where more than one short film is selected for a festival it is unlikely that available funds will allow for multiple travel grants so the applications will be considered competitively.
Short filmmakers may have one successful application to the fund during a financial year.
To receive this grant we need to see evidence of a filmmakers strategy to maximise the opportunity of attending a festival. Applications for assistance will be assessed by the Short Film Manager and a Professional Development Executive. Decisions will be made within five days of application.
The travel contribution will be paid in advance of the proposed trip. It will need to be repaid in full if the trip is cancelled.
This fund has an annual cap. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before making an application.